Hoosier Hill Farm Pure Spinach Powder, 1 Pound

  • 1 full pound in plastic jar, sealed for freshness.
  • Spinach Powder is wonderful for adding color and flavor to fresh pasta, noodle and bread doughs. It can also be used in yeast breads, quick breads or muffins. Combine with herbs or sun-dried tomatoes for a light, savory flavor.
  • Spinach contains many nutritional and medicinal properties which help to strengthen our immune system, boost energy
  • Spinach Powder (Spinacia Oleracea) is created by grinding dried spinach leaves. It is a fine, dull green powder and has a mild spinach flavor.
  • Hoosier Hill Farm is located in America's heartland of northeast Indiana. Our products and ingredients are guaranteed fresh and we are proud of our heritage and good, old-fashioned values!

I mainly got this to add into my green smoothies every morning- my anemia has gotten really severe, and in order to avoid surgical intervention (TMI territory) my doctor has me consuming as much iron from both supplements and food sources as possible. I've been a vegetarian for 30+ years, so this is trickier than it sounds. I do love spinach, and eat it daily, so I thought spinach powder would be good to add to my green smoothies, plus things like ramen and cous and cous and things like that. It actually makes my smoothies much thicker and flavorful (even though my smoothies tend to go the chocolate/coffee flavor route- the spinach doesn't really compete with the flavor, but boosts it, oddly enough...) and is fine in *small* sprinkles in ramen, soups, and sauces, but this powder failed miserably in things like rice and cous cous where at the end the water is absorbed into the food and you are left with a lot of "spinach-y residue slime" that tastes kinda gnarly and is really unpleasant to eat. So in anything that is liquid based, this is great. In foods in which the liquid is either drained or absorbed into the food, the spinach powder doesn't dissolve fully and get absorbed. Instead it coats the food and turns slime-y and bitter tasting. The product really is super finely ground dehydrated spinach that WILL rehydrate and bulk out when you add water to it- it doesn't fully dissolve. Just keep this in mind when you are cooking with it.

Similar to the nitrate & nutrition boost you'd get in beet juice at a fraction of the cost, & won't turn your urine pink like beets. The trick is though, is that heat kills some of the nutrients & nitrate boost. So, just like beet juice, it must be consumed cold (or room temperature) to be effective. Beets have their nitrate peak in about 3 hours, spinach has its nitrate peak in about 5 hours. It's very strong & green (chlorophyll) tasting. Sprinkling it in stews & soups was OK but the heat destroys too much of the nutrients & nitrate effect. So far the only way I can consume it cold was in a mix of cold chocolate coffee. It still tasted very green, but was OK that way. Cold chocolate coffee energy drink: 1 tsp of instant coffee, 3 rounded tsp of sugar, 1 heaping tsp of Nestle instant chocolate milk, 1-3 tsp of powdered milk (use just 1 if you're lactose intolerant, powdered milk won't bother you as much as whole milk), add 8-12 oz of cool or cold water, & stir a lot. Add about 1 tsp of spinach powder or beet juice powder to that (stir vigorously, even while drinking or it will settle). After a week or so, you get used to it, & actually like it.

I can't say enough about this product . I was sorely lacking in leafy green vegetable consumption because eating the amount I need in fresh spinach and Kale ( which are the two most nutritious ) was just not palatable to me . Now it's easy for me because I buy both in powder form from Hoosier Hill Farm and mix them in a drink every morning . A few swallows and I have two great veggies down !!

I'm a horrible vegan and a big baby about greens. This powder gives them to me without having to deal with silly things like "taste" or "texture" :P

This spinach powder is perfect for your green smoothies! Where I live it's a hit and miss with fresh spinach. Sometimes the bunches are healthy but most times they look like they've been cut and sitting in the sun for a few days! This spinach powder is perfect for those days where fresh spinach is not available and you need your greens for your smoothies. The taste is fantastic!

Great for green smoothies without the limited shelf life of fresh spinach. Great for my son in his dorm too, as he has next to zero refrigerator space. The nutrition information per serving is the same as that of fresh spinach. Good, domestic company too.

I used 1tsp of this with about 3 cups of unsweet coconut milk, 1tsp kale powder, 1/4 cup mixed berries, 1/4 cup strawberries, 1 banana, 1TBSP vanilla protein powder, 1tsp Chlorella/Moringa/Spirulina blend & 1TBSP hemp/flax/chia seeds. (The banana was a little too much, I think I should've used only 3/4 - 1/2 banana.) But even with all of that in it, It tasted great! It didn't LOOK yummy, but it really was!😋Surprised me! Ended up being about 4 cups of smoothie. ✏I did NOT use the recommended amounts because this is dehydrated and ground up foods. I don't want my body absorbing too much nutrients at one time and throwing away the rest of the food that I eat throughout the day. ✏I felt full for about 3-4 hours. Like a normal meal!😊😉

I got this to pop into drinks then ended up adding into a lot of different meals. Very good product! Fine green powder. Don't breath it in!

I love this stuff for smoothies and for garnish. I know that sounds strange but don't knock it until you try it. I will say the spinach taste is STRONG but that is to be expected. It is perfect for those who are like me and can't keep produce long without it going bad. I hate to waste money and then have to pick through a bag for spinach. So this powder has solved all my problems.

A wonderful product to have on hand for risotto, pasta, rice pilaf, or a spinach-cream sauce for fish or potatoes. The flavor is subtle, but the powder is so useful when you don’t have fresh or frozen spinach on hand. You can make a spur-of-the-moment decision to transform a plain dish into something special and add a dose of healthy vegetable. No clumping!! You would NOT use this to make a batch of spinach to eat as a side dish- only to add to other dishes as above.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slush Puppie Slush Bars, Assorted Flavors (12 Boxes, 10 - 1 oz bars per box)

Days of Wonder Ticket to Ride